Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sub box

So I've been thinking about adding some 10" subs to my Camaro. I've looked around and found the stealth boxes that tuck away on either side of the trunk without losing much usable space and I like them. I'm thinking about building them myself just for the fun of it. I've also noticed that some boxes have "walls" inside the box to channel the air. is that necessary , does it make a difference? also, I'm on a budget and could use some advice on what speakers/amps are good these days and work well with a small enclosure. any advice would be appreciated.
    “If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.”

Oh wow, how's your membership coming along (You are flagged as a guest)? We now have three active professional installers (two on the south side of Houston) in the club and a few more with decades of experience in this arena.

Comment

I've never applied for a membership. my schedule doesn't really allow me to attend all the get togethers and my purchases are so few and far between I don't think they would out weight the cost of membership... so who are the installers I could talk to?
      “If you don't go after what you want, you'll never have it. If you don't ask, the answer is always no. If you don't step forward, you're always in the same place.”

Comment

I'm doing full dynomat installation on a members car sat if your interested (Spring). I'll let the others volunteer their info.

The questions you have are the correct ones, but would be better addressed in person.

Sealed vs. Ported, I do sealed for better sound quality for example. Internal walls are for bracing or manipulating port flow.

2014 Last post winner
        Last edited by Snoman; 11-02-2015, 03:29 PM.

Comment

thanks, im still in the planning stages, so I may hit you up when I get further along

Comment

You can check my build thread here for a stage I install and I'm adding another 8 this weekend also. I think the other subs in the club are ported 10's and 12's in custom boxes. I'd recommend listening to various set ups if you are able.

2014 Last post winner
            Last edited by Snoman; 11-03-2015, 07:37 AM.

Comment

I've written mountains of info on the C5 audio forums explaining in detail different speakers and amp set ups of all kinds.

The best single amp solution for the price is the Alpine PDX-V9, nothing else comes remotely close. If you move to a separated cabin + sub amp set up you have some phenomenal choices with JL, RF-Punch and PG. Single amp has easier wiring while multiple amp costs more. The best cabin speakers for the price are the Infinity Kappas while they are still available. Once they are gone, you will have to spend $300-600/pr to obtain the same level from anyone else reputable like PPI / JL-C5's / Polk-MM's / Hertz / Focal-PS.

I do not recommend building a speaker box unless you have a working understanding of the physics behind calculating internal volume, mass load and tuning. Then again, I haven't met many "professionals" that have a clue either. One of of the worst things you can do is buy a sub without seeing if it will work properly with some pre-fab box.

If you spend $600, you are going to get a mediocre upgrade. You need to budget $1,000 to scratch the first level of a quality DIY stereo build and we still haven't talked about Dynomat.

Comment

Originally posted by SmplyB View Post
                thanks, im still in the planning stages, so I may hit you up when I get further along

Snoman is definitely the one for info.

Comment

Working...
                X