Unconfigured Ad Widget

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spare key and fob reprogram

Well another scam that Chevrolet invented. My only key fob got wet last weekend. I shopped online, and then decided to go and purchase one from the dealer instead of waiting 2-3days. (everytime I get in the car the alarm goes off without my keyfob, irritating.) So I looked up programming procedures. No problem. seems easy enough. Well when it comes to MY car, that's not the case. this car has given me issues at every turn. so I get home, look up the procedures, go out to program the spare key (comes with the fob) and the remote. Hmm error, "Service Theft deterrant system" Uh WHAT???!!! tried several other ways, no change, refuses to recognize key and remote. I notice that the cut in the key was a little longer, wasn't sure if that was the issue. went back to chevy, he swears up and down the keycut is the issue. I think it is. anyway, I asked someone in the service dept what I need to do....No Im not leaving my car here!! geez! go to another near my house, we are several days behind......uh ok. so I went home. I will mess with this later. I cant believe that the programming procedures forces people to the dealers greedy little hands! Anyone know I way around this???Is there something I missed that you have experienced before???
    2012 Camaro 2LT RS V6 6 spd

UPDATE: btw, the old keyfob is now working again, I fixed it. so the new remote and key will be spares, which I need actually. Cant really take it back, they cut it already....(they didn't charge me...btw). I heard some dealers do.

Comment

Well that's a relief. I have no experience with those. Don't get that sucker wet again.

Comment

Well, it was a very long day in the heat working on the damed thing. Put clothes in the washer, thinking I emptied ALL my pockets. Um turns out I didn't. Then the alarm starts going off. I frantically went looking for my fob (it was 10:30pm, both neighbors on each side of me has very young children), looking in my usually places. Hmm, where's it....OH sh#$T!! started working again after changing the battery. Soooo...the saga continues...heh

Comment

this is the whole reason why I ignored the recall all together......when I traded in mine you still had to use the switchblade. AND just like a cell phone or anything like that when it gets wet, out it in a bag of rice... I had to do that once, as I washed my remote once as well. and like you, the only thing I had to do was change the battery.

Comment

Originally posted by Sir Nuke View Post
            this is the whole reason why I ignored the recall all together......when I traded in mine you still had to use the switchblade. AND just like a cell phone or anything like that when it gets wet, out it in a bag of rice... I had to do that once, as I washed my remote once as well. and like you, the only thing I had to do was change the battery.
            Well, I did ignore it on my 1st 2012 RS. I traded it for a 2016. Then Harvey, got another instead of a Vette ( I have reasons), but the recall was already done on my current car. But I was only given 1 key and remote.

Comment

Originally posted by 12blkgrayRS View Post

Well, I did ignore it on my 1st 2012 RS. I traded it for a 2016. Then Harvey, got another instead of a Vette ( I have reasons), but the recall was already done on my current car. But I was only given 1 key and remote.
              well that make total sense.

Comment

Working...
              X